Our Neighborhood Network Monthly Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of every month. We have partnered with Summit County Public Health (through their Creating Healthy Communities grant) to provide healthy food and drink options at every in-person Neighborhood Network Monthly Meeting.
Click through the Meetings List below to see what topics we’ve covered in previous years! Some years have documentation and presentations that we used, so feel free to click through those. Our most accurate meeting updates will be available on our Facebook Page @NeighborhoodNetworkAkron !
Look out for our 2022 Meeting Topics soon! Most updated information can be found on our Facebook Page @NeighborhoodNetworkAkron !
January 4th - no meeting, Happy New Year!
July - No Meeting, Happy 4th of July!
November - Go Vote!
2021 Monthly Meeting Schedule
- January 16th: In place of our January Monthly Meeting, Neighborhood Network will host a one-time Food & Resource drive-thru distribution on Saturday, January 16th, 2021. Geared towards addressing the growing needs due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are using what we would have normally spent on 2020 monthly meeting dinners and babysitting costs to distribute small bags of food, recipes, resources and information about Habitat programs and services to Mason CLC families.
February 2nd: Cancelled
- March 2nd: Stop in (virtually!) - to just say hello or stay a while to catch up with your neighbors during the Community Marketplace game
- April 6th: Learn about Habitat for Humanity of Summit County's Homeownership program from Kim (Family Services Manager) and Gabriella (current Habitat Partner Family). Kim and Gabriella will share information and tips about our Homeownership program in a Q&A format - with plenty of time for your questions!
- May 4th: An overview of County and City Council and how to get in contact with them!
- June 1st: Community Listening Training @ The Well CDC Hosted By Citizens Akron - Everyone is welcome to join the Community Listening Training, a workshop to facilitate better listening, hear what the neighbors want in their community, and potentially learn how to be better advocates for neighbors.
- July 6th: Sustainability Brainstorm - a look at past revitalization efforts and how can we keep them maintained while also thinking of new projects that won't burden neighbors, engage business owners, and beautify the neighborhood.
August 3rd: CancelledSee us instead at the Hot Glass Jam on August 7th from 10am-3pm! We'll be Tie-Dying!
- September 7th: Boss Park Walk and Talk Through - learn about Boss Park and all the work that's been done in accordance to the University Park Neighborhood Plan. Listen to Beth of Wild Woman Designs and Consulting talk about the permaculture that went into creating the Boss Park you see today!
- October 5th: @ Jewett Park - Learn about the holistic uses of plants from Pastor Yolanda (LINKs Community and Family Services & Open Door Church). Emily from Akron Metro Regional Transit Authority will also be presenting the new Drafted Bus System and the survey for you to have your voice be heard on all bus system related matters. Enjoy cozy, autumnal snacks with us in the park that just won the Akron Parks Challenge 2021!
November 2nd: Cancelled- Go Vote!
- December 7th: Celebrate with us! Enjoy a Covid Safe holiday meal as we review the Middlebury Neighborhood Plan with Zac Kohl and Curtis Minter Jr from the Well CDC! See you in person at Family of Faith United Methodist Church at 800 E Market St. Check out our Facebook for updates on the event! @NeighborhoodNetworkAkron
2020 Monthly Meeting Schedule and Topics - Due to Covid-19, we could only meet a few times.
- January 7th: Hear from community organizations like the Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) volunteer program, help plan out the next year's monthly meeting topics and participate in the Community Marketplace Game
- February 4th: University Park Neighborhood Plan final community meeting – come see the draft plan and vision for the neighborhood and how YOU can be involved in the work moving forward
- March 3rd: Planning a Party – learn all you need to know to throw a block party this summer and brighten up your windowsill with a new plant – green thumb not required.
- June 2nd: VIRTUAL! Middlebury and University Park Dementia Friendly Communities Training to learn about community resources that may just save someone’s life.
- October 6th: VIRTUAL- University Park Neighborhood Plan Roll Out! Completed in September 2020, this plan is part of a series of investments in planning and community development by the City of Akron, in partnership with community organizations and non-profits.
- December 1st: VIRTUAL - Check in and join your neighbors for an hour of resource sharing and vision setting for 2021.
Topics That We Missed Due to Covid-19, But Hope to Do in the Future!
Hope & Healing Survivor Resource Center - community resource and volunteering opportunities presentation
Guided Neighborhood Pride Event - take home a keep sake that reminds you of your community!
Garden harvest potluck at a local community garden TBD (with backup plan for rain date/location) while enjoying a fresh and healthy locally grown dinner!
Night Out Against Crime: this event will return - check out our Facebook for updates!
Trolley tour of Middlebury and University Park – jump on the trolley to explore some Akron history and mystery!
2019 Monthly Meeting Schedule and Topics
- January 1st: NO MEETING
- February 5th: Akron Police Department Run, Hide, Fight Training
- March 5th: Middlebury Walk Audit rollout, Safe Routes to School and Great Streets Information, Safe Mobility Project
- April 2nd: United Way of Summit County Family Resource Center and Community Health Assessment Table Talk
- May 7th: Community Gardens/Food System and Table Talk
- June 4th: Celebration/Party and Walking Tour down East Market
August 6th: Middlebury/University Park Night Out Against CrimeCANCELLED due to rain
- September 3rd: Middlebury/University Park Night Out Against Crime RESCHEDULED
- October 1st: University Park Neighborhood Plan Community Meeting #1 and On The Table Discussion
- November 5th: Creation of neighborhood vision time capsule and Middlebury and University Park history information (Middlebury Story Map created by Summit County GIS Department)
- December 3rd: University Park Neighborhood Plan Community Meeting #2 and Middlebury Neighborhood Plan Annual Report from What's Next Committee
- Tuesday, February 5th, 2019
- Contact the Akron Police Department to schedule the Run, Hide, Fight Training for your organization or group
- Tuesday, March 5th, 2019
- Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019
Neighborhood Network Monthly Meeting Handouts/Presentations
Click on the link to view the materials and PowerPoint associated with each meeting (as available)
- Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018
- Tuesday, February 6th, 2018
- Tuesday, March 6th, 2018
- Tuesday, April 3rd, 2018
- Tuesday, May 1st, 2018
- Tuesday, June 5th, 2018
- NO JULY MEETING (see FAQs to learn why there isn't a July Meeting)
- NO AUGUST MEETING: NIGHT OUT AGAINST CRIME
- Tuesday, September 4th, 2018
- Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018
- Tuesday, November 6th, 2018
- Tuesday, December 4th, 2018
Parking and transportation
Parking is available in the Family of Faith UMC parking lot which can be found at 800 East Market Street. Residents are encouraged to carpool, walk to the meeting or ride the bus. The nearest bus stop is at the East Market and Carroll Street intersection.
I have an idea for a meeting topic. Can I present during the meeting?
If you have an idea for a meeting topic or would like to present, please contact Marissa Little (Neighborhood Network Manager) at marissaL@hfhsummitcounty.org or 330-745-7734 ext. 255. To respect everyone’s time, we ask that you contact Marissa to get on the agenda at least two weeks before the meeting. At most meetings we will host the “Community Market Place” activity where everyone will have the opportunity to make an offer, request or declaration for up to 60 seconds.
Is dinner provided? What should I expect?
Sue Hazelet from the NN Core Team prepares a hot dinner for each in-person Neighborhood Network Monthly Meeting. We’ve enjoyed taco bars, salads, lasagna and everyone loves Sue’s brownies! We normally eat right at 6:00pm after a brief welcome. If you have food allergies please connect with Sue before the meeting in the kitchen to discuss what ingredients were used. Since the Covid-19 Pandemic, we have not met in person. Please check out Facebook page @NeighborhoodNetworkAkron for updates on when in person meetings, and hot dinners will be provided again.
Can my children attend the meeting with me?
Absolutely! We welcome youth participation in the neighborhood revitalization process. We realize too that sometimes kids just want to play! That’s why we have childcare available (through Family of Faith UMC) at each in-person meeting at Family of Faith UMC. For more information please contact Pastor Ron Shultz at email@example.com.
Will you ever cancel a meeting?
We normally don’t cancel our meetings due to weather. However, if severe weather is predicted (tornado, flooding, etc.) we will cancel the meeting and notify the community via our email list and Facebook page. In the event the NN Monthly Meeting were to fall on a holiday (ex: New Years Day) we will not have a Monthly Meeting for that month and will notify the community via our email list, Facebook page and at the prior Monthly Meeting.
Why isn’t there a July meeting?
We take July off because it is a month already filled with family vacations, community events and neighborhood revitalization projects – the first Tuesday of July also falls particularly close to the 4th of July.
How can I get involved?
Please reach out to Marissa and Megan to talk about your ideas, come to our Monthly Meetings and participate in the Market Place Game by declaring your idea, or check out our About Page for more information. Marissa and Megan can be contacted at 330-745-7734 ext. 255 or 256.